Well… I have to admit I was EXCITED when I heard the news that Publix Grocery Chain was opening a new concept store called Publix Greenwise.
They announced a great location in Boca Raton, Florida and one in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida where the first two of these concepts would be opened. Shortly afterwards, there will be several in further North opening in Coral Springs, Florida, Tampa, Florida, Vero Beach, Florida and in Naples, Florida.
The store will be focused on bringing wholesome, natural and organic foods and earth-friendly items to the public in a whole new way.
This store will be lined up in direct competition with Whole Foods Market, the dominant force in Healthy Retailing.
Right now, Organic and Wholesome foods are an enormous business and Publix stands poised to not only increase the market share for Organic and Natural Food Retailers vs normal retailers but it should also raise awareness on a larger scale for smart food choices in a world of recalls, E Coli and BGH.
I am personally a big consumer of natural and organic foods as I have a 16 month old son. He drinks only organic milk and eats natural chicken. We do not want him getting an unhealthy start in his life for fears of obesity, childhood diabetes and other health concerns that are making news daily. I grew up on McDonalds and even they are pushing a healthier menu these days!
What I don’t understand is the protests over these stores!!!
The SunSentinel.com is telling the story of the protest of the local customers in Boca Raton, Florida who are upset that their neighborhood grocery store is closing for 6 months to reopen as a new concept that won’t have everything they are used to finding on the current shelves.
Don’t get me wrong:
- I understand that this is the store where they’re used to shopping and it is an inconvenience.
- I understand that the Organic/Natural market concept won’t target as broad a consumer group
- and I understand that most of these people will have to drive outside of the 2 mile zone of comfort the currently are used to…
But I also understand:
- This is a much better location in many ways than the Whole Foods Market down the street, but inconveniently across I-95, away from many of the communities that will soon have to choose between the two stores.
- This is a direct competition scenario – and it happens to be on the same large parcel as Town Center Mall in Boca Raton, Florida – making it a HUGE destination location
- Based on the Demographics of the Area – this is the best location in Boca Raton, Florida being nearby Boca Raton Community Hospital and its medical office spin offs… Florida Atlantic University, Thousands of square feet of other office space, and the aforementioned Mall!
We are in a GREEN WORLD these days and I welcome with open arms these changes. I look forward to this concept flourishing and opening closer to where I live near Boynton Beach, Florida.
And … I congratulate Publix on having the wherewithall to open a concept that will benefit all of the consumers that will soon come to LOVE BEING GREEN…
More Florida Mortgage and Real Estate News You Can Use From
David A. Podgursky, MBA
Your Source for Residential, Commercial, Investment and Relocation Mortgages in Florida